12.01.2010

Johnny Update-Day 4

Well...that was an interesting 24 hours.

The morning started off great with Johnny taking 35cc at the 3, 6 & 9 feedings. But then in the afternoon, he didn't take more than 10cc. The docs put in a feeding tube because they were going to start doing some feeds through that but decided to wait until this morning's labwork came back and to see how he did the rest of the night. He turned a corner at the Midnight feeding and chugged down a good 35cc during his night feedings.

He was a bit tired/lethargic during the afternoon and evening, most likely due to the jaundice. He sleeps pretty much all the time, as most newborns do! Any awake time and energy he has is used for feeding--if he hasn't lulled off back to sleep during the feed, he does so shortly after.

He is all sorts of adorable. The more I look into his sweet, angelic face, the more I see Lola. I love hearing John talk about him. He's so in love with his little boy. Just like Lola does in Daddy's eyes, Johnny too has a perpetual halo hanging over his head!

All we need is for the strong feedings to continue, for him to work out the jaundice and to start gaining weight--then, when all is proven and the doctors say he's ready, we'll be bringing our Johnny home.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART...

I was discharged at 10 am yesterday morning. I spent the day bedside with my boy, pumping and cuddling. The plan was for me to go home for the night and of course, spend time with Lola. John, Lola, Mom & Dad came to get me. We sent Mom & Dad up to spend a good half-hour with Johnny and I came down to surprise Lola in the lobby. It was so awesome to see her--her reaction to me was priceless and felt like a million dollars. She was so caring and gentle to not jump or climb on me because of my "boo-boo". When I asked her where I had been she told me I had been in the hospital. And then when I asked who else was in the hospital and she told me Johnny was. It was an awesome half-hour spent catching up. Of course I feel like she's matured so much in the last 5 days. She's ready to be a big sister! Unfortunately she can't meet her little brother until we bring him home--no kids in neonatal care. I'm am so proud to be her Mommy--you can't not love life with her in your world.

We arrived home and I immediately had to come back to the hospital--I felt very sick--feverish, chills, aches, headache. All signs I might have a post surgical infection. I'll make a long story as short as I can--labwork showed no signs of post surgical infection, but my body had basically had it. I haven't rested like my body has needed me to, I've been pumping a ton but haven't kept myself hydrated and I have been walking around ALOT! I got an IV bag of fluids and rested all night.

On top of it, an OB resident came to examine me in the ER. Turns out part of my incision has opened and is draining quite a bit of fluid. Lovely. It will need to be repacked with gauze and freshly dressed twice daily for the next 3-4 weeks. Double lovely. I was re-admitted to the mother/baby floor of the hospital (I feel like this is my new home!) so I can rest and recoup. My body feels like I'm wearing clothing made of lead. Thankfully, we check into the sleep room at 2 pm, which John will surely be in tonight--I don't know yet if I'll stay overnight in this room, but that's fine by me if I do because I KNOW I need the rest.

All will be fine. It's just going to take time for us all to heal physically--and we will!

No comments: