12.06.2010

Fat Boy Johnny

Yesterday, Johnny took 89% of his feedings by bottle. The goal is 100%, which we really think he'll do today. It's amazing the difference between when he took his first feed a week ago and now. He's so much more alert and is practically looking for his bottle when he wakes up. And the amount he's taking (1 1/2 oz.) he takes no problem, in about 15 minutes or less. 

They're adding some extra calories to my milk to help him gain some weight. (He's at 6lbs 2 oz; he was born at 6lbs 8oz.) They took him off the Billy blanket again yesterday and this time, his level maintained rather than rose. 

We're so excited to see how today goes. When I brought milk up at 3 am I stayed to feed him and was just so proud of his strength. 

The last thing we want to do is put the cart before the horse, but it's fact that were only still here to learn to feed and grow. If he shows definitively that he's doing that this week, all indications point to the likelyhood of us all coming home by the weekend. I look in his eyes and just know it's soon. He looks back at me as if to say "I want to come home too!"

God knew John really needs to be with Lola 24/7 this week--she's done so wonderful with her Grandparents but it breaks her heart and ours when we come home to visit and then have to leave. So, I think the big guy sped my wound healing big time as I can know care for it myself. I had a great teacher in Dr. John. The plan is for John to stay home with her and I here with Johnny until it's time for them to pick us up and bring him home. It will be a tough week apart but as with everything, we'll manage--and be all the more thrilled when we are officially FOUR. 

No comments: