12.04.2010

Happy One Week Birthday, Johnny!



Yesterday was John Michael's one week birthday--I think it's important to celebrate that, given his early arrival. It was so different than Lola's one week birthday (we had a big party at the house). Nevertheless, it was just as special. The Chaplin stopped by in the morning and asked if I wanted a blessing for him. I mentioned we were Catholic and she said she was having lunch with her other Chaplin friend, a Priest, and that they would come back together in the afternoon. I asked her to see if he could bring him some holy water--he did and together, we all took turns making the sign of the cross on Johnny's head. It was so special--especially the prayer the priest offered for him--strength and the gift of years.

John got to go home and spend some much needed time with Lola, so Sue came up after work to keep me company, visit with our boy and bring me some much needed nursing essentials. She arrived at 3 pm and didn't let Johnny out of her arms until she left at 6 pm. Very sweet. He loves cuddles that's for sure. He slept on my chest for an hour straight in the morning and it was magic.

He has an NG tube in his nose--whatever is leftover in his bottle from feedings goes through the tube. I haven't tried latching him since Monday, but Sue suggested I try again (I love that both my mom and Sue nursed--they offer alot of support and encouragement). I'm glad I did--he took about 10 sucks in 10 minutes. And then this morning he did really good and seemed to be getting the hang of it more. It's a start! When he seemed done, we moved back to the bottle and he took 20 of his 35cc, which is really good considering the energy he exerted nursing. And he took the 20cc easier than I've ever seen him.

I really think we're on our way home--they even asked us to bring in our car seat so he could do a test in it and make sure he doesn't have any problems. John brought it up yesterday and I put the super duper cozy body insert Grammy got for him in it. He's going to be nice and supported on his car rides. We can't wait to see our peanut in it. I think this time next week there's a very good chance we could have him home. KEEP PRAYING :)

As for my wound, Dr. John continues to do a great job in caring for it and he says he can already see improvements in its healing. That is wonderful. I can't wait for this part of the adventure to be OVER. Since it's already healed some in just a few days, I'm praying this time next week it's almost completely healed. The human body is amazing that way.

No comments: