2.27.2010

Chicken Soup with Escarole and Beans

On the way to the grocery store this morning, John suggested I make soup this week for dinner. "Damn!", I thought. I suck at soup. Now, I consider myself to be a better-than-average cook. But soup and I just don't agree. I've tried twice to make "home made chicken soup" and it just hasn't turned out well for whatever reason. Well, I stumbled across this recipe on the back of a chicken broth box and according to my husband, I knocked it out of the park. I can honestly say it tasted just like the one my mother-in-law made while we visited in December. It was so good, I felt proud enough to run a bowl over to my Papa, who just got out of the hospital.

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cartons (32 oz. each) chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup diced carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup diced celery (1 medium stalk)
1 cup crushed tomoatoes (from a 28-oz can)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 dried bay leaf (I just sprinkled in some crushed)
1 cup uncooked pastina pasta
2 cups escarole (I added it to the bowl and then poured the hot soup in so it was just wilted enough)
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (again, just added a handful atop the bowl of soup)
***I added one can of white cannaneli beans--drained and rinsed.***

1. Place chicken in 12-inch skillet. Add 1 carton of the broth. Heat to boliing. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 mins. or until juice runs clear.

2. Meanwhile, in stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook 8-10 mins., stirring occasionaly, until veggies are tender.

3. Drain chicken, reserving broth; set chicken aside. Strain broth; add to veggies. Stir remaining carton of broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaf into stockpot. Heat to boiling. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.

4. Shread chicken; add to soup. Serve and enjoy!!!

Chicken simmering--
Veggies cooking---
And the final result. Delicious!

My chef's assistant is never too far. Here she is, sampling the chicken.

No comments: