9.25.2010

2 Year Old Stats

Well, we finally got Lola in for her 2 year old well visit. The most exciting part of any well visit is the physical stats, of course. We were certain Lola weighed at least 30 lbs., but like usual, she just seems heavier than she actually is.

Weight: 27.4 lbs. (55th percentile)
Height: 35 in. (75th percentile)

The nurse practitioner that we see alot commented to John that she was very smart--even though she didn't do a formal assessment, she could just tell from how she presented herself. When he came home and told me, of course, I was very proud :)

She also got her flu shot. Here's the kicker--I've taken her to almost every appointment solo and had to endure many shots followed by tears (though she always got over them fairly quickly.) When the nurse gave her the flu shot, instead of crying, she simply said "thank you". What?!

She's long mastered the alphabet, colors, shapes, numbers. She's doing great with lower-case alphabet recognition, can count up to 10 in Spanish, and is proficient with many sight words. She's beginning to string sight words together while we read, which is very exciting. Hearing her read simple sentences is awesome! We're working on counting with actual objects now, rather than just counting for the sake of counting.

As far as her vocabulary is concerned, I am really noticing her picking up and remembering multiple new worlds on a daily basis. She also talks about things she's done in the recent past. She speaks in many three and four word sentences. Out of nowhere today, she ran in the house from outside on the patio and presented herself with a declarative: "Here I am!"

She can sing many songs by heart and will break into one spontaniously without a moments notice. She doesn't stop at "Twinkle, Twinkle", "ABCs", "I love you" or "Itsy Bitsy Spider" though--we're quite impressed that she also knows the complete lyrics to the Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl" and most of the Frames' "Star Star"--I kid you not.

She has grown into a little girl before our very eyes. I know many parents get sad thinking about sending their children off to their first day of preschool, but personally, next fall can't come soon enough. I love every second I spend with her--each is a gift--but I know school is an environment that she will love and thrive in. Her weekly dance class is a great start. She listens so well and is meeting new friends. I'd say it's also good for her to work on her independence, but she's always been strong in that--very much like I was. I hope it comes from her knowing just how loved she is that she already feels confident enough to spread her little wings.

Of course, the next thing on our toddler agenda is potty-training. I'd love to have this done before Johnny arrives, but I'm not going to stress about it. Most likely we'll tackle it after he arrives and we're cooped up in the house for a few winter months. I'm hoping it'll be a first-round success as she's already very familiar with the concept, having made many a poop on the toilet already!

Stay tuned...

No comments: