9.13.2009

Generations of Catholics

  • tra·di·tion  Pronunciation: \trə-ˈdi-shən\
  • Function: noun 1 a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom) b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable 2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

This morning, 4 generations of St. George Catholics celebrated the close of our parish's 75th year with Mass given by Cardinal Francis George. The theme for the anniversary year was "Home to Generations of Catholics" and today, that really hit me--4 generations of my family were celebrating Mass together. Papa Kurek (and Lucy), my Mom, John & I, and the youngest generation--Lola. 

The love and devotion I have for my faith was instilled in me by the two generations that preceded me. It is a gift, passed down from one to the next. And John and I feel blessed to be able to pass it down and share it with Lola. It is our Catholic tradition. 


I made a very good friend in Martha Peña (here with Lola) while working with the 75th Anniversary committee these past 2 years.
Our Shepard, Cardinal George, speaking to his flock :) 
As all good Catholics do, we "broke bread together" and celebrated with lots of food afterwards!


Since Lola is always an angel and eats all the "healthy" food I give her, we thought she deserved to eat not one, but TWO brownies for dessert! Shockingly, she took a great nap this afternoon.

No comments: