5.26.2011

My 30th

I think my 30th birthday may have been my best birthday yet! It was a perfect day, from start to finish.

I knew John was planning something special to surprise me with, but I had no clue what it could be. Imagine my surprise, when on my birthday morning, I opened my gift from him to find the Lilly Pulitzer dress I had fallen in love with while shopping on Park Ave. a few months ago down in Florida. I couldn't believe it. I have wanted a Lilly Pulitzer for years. And when I tried it on in the dressing room, I just happened to snap a picture of myself wearing it and sent it to him. I didn't actually think I'd get it! It has to be the most beautiful thing to ever hang in my closet. Stay tuned, you'll be seeing it soon ;)

Mom gave me the gift of all gifts by babysitting the kids all day so John and I could spend a carefree day downtown. As we walked to the train, I mentioned to him I felt like we were going on vacation, I was so excited! The weather looked like it might rain, but cleared enough to where we felt comfortable dropping our umbrellas off at his office instead of carrying them around. I finally got to see where my husband works!

We walked towards The Purple Pig, our lunch destination. Just before we were about to cross the river, the bridge raised to let a large boat pass. Something you don't get to see every day. A stranger was nice enough to snap a picture of us...How handsome is my husband?! Such a great picture of him.
The Purple Pig has been on our to-do list for awhile. Several friends have recommended it and it was rated one of Bon Appetite's Top 10 new restaurants in the country last year. Hello!
We feasted on marinated olives, cured meats, chef selected cheeses and a fantastic eggplant smear. We can't wait to go back and try more of the menu when Mom & Dad come to visit.
We walked up and down Michigan Ave. for a few hours, stopping into countless stores, just taking our time. It was bustling with people and bursting with Spring color.
We capped off our time together at the Art Institute. We enjoyed free admission, thanks to JPMorgan Chase--and feasted our eyes on some incredible masterpieces.
After our time at the Art Institute, I kissed John good-bye as he headed to the train and I headed back up the Ave. to meet my Dad at Ron's for our annual Birthday dinner date. We sat with an awesome group and enjoyed our dinner so much, I totally forgot to have someone take a picture of us! Oh well, I stole this from their website. It's actually from their Northbrook location, but you get the idea. This place is the best.

And as a fun surprise, the waitress brought me a Chocolate Martini at the end of the meal. My mom had called the bar at the restaurant and ordered me a drink :)
30 awesome years. Such a fun celebration. As if the day wasn't enough, I was showered with love and happy wishes from so many friends and family. At this age, it's not the gifts you care about, but rather the gift of love and friendship from those around you that is priceless. THANKS EVERYONE!

1 comment:

Traci said...

It looks like it was a great day!